Hello and welcome to the first of monthly newsletters about the Augusta Chamber of Commerce.
Firstly, let me introduce you to the Executive Committee
- President – Doug Thompson of Leeuwin Diner (formerly Augusta Delights)
- Vice President – Sue Beilken of Augusta Newsagency
- Secretary – Allira Ross (trainee) of the Community Resource Centre
- Treasurer – David Beilken of Augusta Newsagency (temporary)
With the past weeks being a bit quieter on the business front, the executive committee and myself have had discussions on how best for our chamber to represent the community, as well as harness new initiatives for the town of Augusta.
To kickstart this new direction, we have had both a breakfast meeting, catered by the CRC, with guest speakers Business Southwest, and a “Business After Dark” network night, catered by Brendan from Blackwood Views Café and guest speaker Leanne from Whale Watch WA. This new approach of networking with local business and associates has the potential to benefit both the businesses of the town and the community.
Some of the Chambers greatest projects to date are:
- Wall of Faces – powered by Eion Lindsay and Sue Juniper
- Streetscape – with our indispensable volunteer Di Foster!
- Bike Racks around town – Eion Lindsay in conjunction with the AMR Shire
- Whalesong / Blessing of the Fleet – Dennis Meagher and Dept of Transport
Future projects rely on grants, collaborations/discussions with the Shire, other government departments, key public and private sector organisations plus our hard determined focus and voice. These include (and are certainly not limited to): Grassing of the Augusta Boat Harbour and the development of the corner Ellis and Blackwood Streets.
So as you can see, we are an active group, however we are looking for new members who have passion, initiative and new ideas to help sustainable growth of our businesses and community. The bigger we are, the more we channel “Our Voice”.
Your membership will help drive our Chamber into a positive future, as well as benefit you!
What a great opportunity to mix with other business members in our community and hear the latest news!
Our next meetings:
1st Sept – Sundowner at Augusta Hotel
Hosted by MRBTA guest speaker Pip Close
AGM Oct 8th Venue TBA